I’m Samir Patel, a value investor from Texas running a long-only “hedge fund” (limited partnership) and separately managed accounts (SMAs) My strategy is pretty simple: I wait patiently for high-quality small-cap companies* to trade down to attractive valuations.
Non-investing things I am good at include dogsitting, making risotto, and carrying heavy backpacks to remote places for reasons generally indefensible and inscrutable to people who prefer roofs to tents. On the other hand, as you can probably tell, a thing I am not very good at is web design. 🙂
On the investment side, I focus on:
– knowing what is knowable/predictable and what is not, as well as the boundaries of my circle of competence
– following a sustainable process to identify actionable high-quality investment candidates
– avoiding behavioral mistakes and, when I make them, having a “growth mindset”
– developing mental models to better understand how the world works, and attempting to learn from the successes and mistakes of those who’ve been down the path I’m traveling – my current mentor is Zeke Ashton of Centaur Capital Partners
– rather than reinventing the wheel in bullet-point format, go see the “investor letters” page for the pitchbook and investor letters, which provide more color than you care to read on how we approach things
– *my rough definition of “high quality” – some combination of capable management, good products with a sustainable competitive advantage, strong returns on capital, and a clean balance sheet, restricted to the realm of companies whose futures I have a reasonable shot at understanding and predicting
Places you can find me:
email (best way to contact me):
maximumeffort [\at/] askeladdencapital -dot- com
- “In many folk tales, the Ash Lad is looked down upon as a seemingly drowsy ne’er do well, perhaps even as a loner or misunderstood eccentric, who spends too much time sitting by the fireplace lost in thought as he is poking the ashes. As the typical story unfolds, the older brothers, tied to conventional thinking, typically fall flat on their faces. In contrast, it is the Ash Lad who comes up with creative solutions. He is smarter, more tactical, more receptive and more aware of the needs of others. He outwits trolls, dodges charging unicorns or gets a magic Viking ship to transport him where he ultimately saves the princess.”
- “In modern parlance, the Ash Lad is an individualist, free-thinker, and nonconformist who is capable of deep abstract, analytical thinking “outside the box”, or who can create a scientific paradigm shift. He is capable of acting as a true visionary or innovative early adopter.”
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN OFFERING OR THE SOLICITATION OF AN OFFER TO PURCHASE AN INTEREST IN ANY SECURITY. ANY SUCH OFFER OR SOLICITATION WILL ONLY BE MADE TO ACCREDITED INVESTORS BY MEANS OF A CONFIDENTIAL PRIVATE PLACEMENT MEMORANDUM (THE “MEMORANDUM”) AND ONLY IN THOSE JURISDICTIONS WHERE PERMITTED BY LAW.